Another week down and another step towards the learning resource! Since last week there has been a lot of little jobs that I have been completing instead of one big task like last week. I started by going through the 106 page document with all of the material that I had looked through in the archival boxes. After picking out the most useful documents, I then reviewed this, picking out the very best and representative documents that best represented the various museums that I had looked at. From the documents that I have picked, I really feel that they are not only interesting and illuminating, but would also be most beneficial to next year’s cohort.
Also during this week, I was adding to the primary material that were in the boxes by looking at some of the periodicals that were in the basement of the library. Although they did not cover all of the case studies that I had been looking at in the boxes, there were some interesting finds in there that could definitely be used!
With these in mind, I decided to start forward planning and thinking about the learning resource itself. Due to time constrictions, I need to have a list of documents I want to digitise by the end of the week to allow time to gain copyright permission. Furthermore, I need to ensure that I contact and know what and where I would like any oral histories. In order to do this effectively, I decided to spend some time refining what themes I would talk about and looking at other online resources such as the National Archives online exhibitions, to see how they have laid out online exhibitions and learning resources. I have narrowed down the many themes into four:
- Museum History
- Museum Purpose
- Museum Education
- Museums and the Community
All of these factors overlap nicely with each other and were topics that were really focused on within module two. I am also really interested in these areas! I shall hopefully use the Festival of Britain as a case study for museums and the community and explore how they show their community then and now. This is taking the theory of how national museums present their country, and transposing it onto a more local scale to see if they do the same thing.
I was very impressed by how the National Archives have laid out their online resources and they have given me some great ideas for my project!
The big difference of this week was more meetings and training. I have had some ContentDM training which is a software which creates metadata records. These records are useful because they can be easily translated onto many different catalogues without having to fill in the same details on different software. It seems really simple to use and I will look forward to getting to grips with it in the future. I have also today had an induction in the practices of the reading room! I am beyond excited by this! So I can now issue books and archives, monitor the reading room, get holds from the store and also ensure conservation and safety for both visitors and documents. I am looking forward to adding enquiry training to this in the near future as I feel that this will really develop my career prospects. This week I have copyright and Omeka training so lots more strings to add to my bow.
This week I plan to get a final list for digitisation and for those I need to obtain copyright trainings by re-going through the chosen documents and making more detailed notes. Furthermore, I need to start contacting people for oral history interviews and continue to think about the learning resource and how I want to structure it.
So another busy week gone, another one coming up!
Thank you for reading and I will see you next week!